Eric nies dating
Errors there may be, but every effort has been made to verify the data. "His work will supply a felt want, in the literature of Windsor, and it should prove very acceptable to all lovers of the Hawkesbury districts. Stogdell, Palmer, Hobbs, Diggers, Jones, Benn, Smallwood, Dr. The present township of Pitt Town stands on portions of these grants, which had to be resumed for township purposes in 1810. A Government store was established in 1798, and placed in charge of William Baker, whose name is perpetuated in Baker Street, Windsor and Baker's Lagoon, near Richmond. In the year 1804 Governor King appointed trustees for the several Commons of the Colony. Everingham (a Matthew James Everingham died on 25th December, 1817, aged forty-eight years, and was buried in St. The authorities consulted will be found at the end of the book, but I cannot close my studies of Old Windsor without again thanking the many correspondents who have assisted me, and especially Mr. "As years roll on it will certainly become an invaluable work of reference on all matters connected with the district." JOHN TEBBUTT, F. In 1796 Governor Hunter visited the district, and instructions were given to construct a road from Parramatta to the Hawkesbury, and soon after this road was placed under a Trust, Dr. This early store was situated somewhere near the present Thompson Square. Regular masters of all the settlers, both free and bond, were held from time to time, and separate records kept of men, women, and children belonging to each class—military, officers, civil officers, freemen, prisoners and settlers. Andrew Thompson being so appointed for both the Ham and Nelson Commons. The same figures will be found in Waugh's Almanac for 1859. They were all local men, judging by their names: John Howe (leader), and his son-in-law George Loder, Andrew Howe, William Dargan, Philip Thornley, and Benjamin Singleton, after whom a northern town is named. It is interesting to notice the rapid development of the town of Windsor and district during the regime of Governor Macquarie. We have difficulty in locating the buildings numbered 6, 7, 8, and 9. A few years after, what was known as Cope's Farm was sold. Thompson was enabled to accumulate considerable property, and what was more valuable to him, to possess the confidence of some of the most distinguished characters of this country, the consciousness of which surmounted the private solicitude of re-visiting his native country, and led him rather to yield to the wish of passing the evening of his life where his manhood had been meritoriously exerted, than of returning to the land which gave him birth. Thompson's intrinsic good qualities were appreciated by his Excellency the present Governor (Macquarie), who soon after his arrival here was pleased to appoint him a Magistrate, for which situation Mr. This act, which restored him to that rank in Society which he had lost, made so deep an impression on his grateful heart as to induce him to bequeath to the Governor one-fourth of his Fortune.
The Articles have been the subject of considerable correspondence, both in the local paper and direct to the author. Henry Selkirk, of the Lands Department, and for several years a kindly neighbour in Killara. The following year many more families were settled, and as the natives were troublesome, some troops from the N. It is of interest to note that Lieutenant Grose was the son of Captain Grose, concerning whose peregrinations through Scotland the poet Burns wrote: A chiel's amang you takin' notes, And faith he'll print it. The Grants from the year 1800 to 1804 were as follows—Thomas Hobby, William Bates, Lydia Austen, Charles Marsden (900 acres), William Ezzy (130 acres), Henry Cox, and Andrew Thompson. The bat of missing books is given, which includes such standard works as Milton, Burns, Sterne, Thomson, Hervey and others. The foundation stones of this church were laid by Rev.
By this means valuable revisions and additions have been made. "I have read the articles on the 'Early Days of Windsor', by the Rev. "As a native of Windsor, with a clear recollection of the past seventy-five years, I may say that the author has spared no pains to make his statements accurate and reliable. The earliest Hawkesbury Crown grants included those to Samuel Wilcox, John Brindley, William Bond, John Ruffler, Alexander Wilson, and Whaelen. Thomas Westmore and William Anderson, James Ruse, Ann Blady and Joseph Smallwood, in 1797. These may be easily located on the map of the Parish of St. The grants for the same period made near Pitt Town were:—Messrs. A Government order, dated 8th April, 1804, ordered that all boats trading on the Hawkesbury River should be numbered and registered by Andrew Thompson, head constable, otherwise they would be confiscated.
It is with the pioneers who opened the way, and with the men who followed and built and tended the pleasant town of Windsor on the noble river's bank that Mr. He has expended much time and labour in gathering his material and in disinterring from the somewhat dusty chambers of the past the names and deeds of men who "deserve to live." For these services Mr. who would know the early history of Australia must perforce know something of its first granary, the Green Hills, afterwards known as Windsor. These and others made several successive visits to the Hawkesbury River, reaching as far as Richmond Hill. He also built the Governor Bligh, in 1807, which traded to New Zealand. The foundation stone of the present church was laid on 8th December, 1875. The chief laymen during the seventies throughout the whole circuit were:—William Dean, J.
Steele deserves the success which I am sure this book will command. BERTIE, Past-President, Australian Historical Society. The substance of this volume ran through the columns of the between August, 1914, end February, 1915. In the year 1794 Lieut.-Governor Major Grose placed the first twenty-two settlers along the banks of the Hawkesbury River and South Creek, railed then Ruse's Creek, as James Ruse, the man who first grew wheat at Parramatta, had a grant of land at the junction of that stream with the Hawkesbury. Corps were sent up, and the settlement of Windsor, then called Green Hills, was fairly launched. Andrew Thompson appears to have had some literary taste, for in an advertisement in the Sydney Gazette, 9th December, 1804, he asked that those to whom he had loaned certain books would kindly return them. Walker (the ancestor of many Methodist ministers), J. Among those present, as circuit minister for a second term, was the Rev. Wilkinson, who was also present when the foundation stone of the burnt church was laid, in 1838.
The main streets in Windsor proper were laid out and named. All these and other appointments and improvements were made in the years 1810-12, and from this date Windsor grew in importance and wealth as the chief inland town in the colony. The Evening News, in August and October, 1897, had a series of articles on Margaret Catchpole. This wharf was on the same spot, close to the present bridge, as that still used. Gentlemen, Graziers and the public generally are respectfully informed that the Windsor Fair will be held at the Market Place, Windsor, on Tuesday, 10th June, 1834, being the second Tuesday in the month of June, and that no charge is made by way of fee or toll for stock or articles offered for sale at the said Fair. About 1836, Glebe Street, afterwards known as Tebbutt Street, was surveyed off the Church Green and the allotments facing the Green sold. His death was specially notified to the Secretary of State, by Governor Macquarie, on 27th October, 1810. "In retracing the last twenty years of the life of this exemplary and much lamented character, it will not be held uncharitable to glance at the lapse from rectitude, which in an early and inexperienced period of youth destined him to these shores, since it will stamp a more honourable tribute to his memory to have it recorded, that from his first arrival in this country he uniformly conducted himself with that strict regard to integrity and morality as to obtain and enjoy the countenance and protection of several succeeding Governors. Matthew's church-yard reads as follows:— SACRED Justice of the Peace and Chief Magistrate of the District of the Hawkesbury, a Native of Scotland, who at the age of 17 Years was sent to this Country where from the time of his arrival he distinguished himself by the most persevering industry and diligent attention to the commands of his Superiors.
As late as the year 1858 Windsor was considered the fourth town in the colony. William Walker in that year gave the following list of populations: Parramatta 15,758, Maitland 15,290, Bathurst 12,005, Windsor 8,431, Goulburn 7,028. In the year 1820, a party of explorers left Windsor to examine the Hunter River district. The party returned via the present site of Maitland, and several of the old Windsor residents became pioneers of that northern district. Fifteen hundred pounds was paid for it to Thompson's trustees in 1812. John Howe, Clerk of Market, pro tem." In 1831, the following were the Windsor contractors for the supply of stores, firewood, and cartage for the local Government survey parties:—Jas. The Roman Catholic Church got their grant from this in 1837. In his will he named as executors, John Howe, Simeon Lord (he was the father of the late George W. Active, intelligent, and industrious of manners, mild and conciliatory, with a heart generous and humane, Mr. By these means he raised himself to a state of respectability and affluence which enabled him to indulge the generosity of his nature In assisting his fellow Creatures in distress more particularly in the Calamitous Floods of the river Hawkesbury in the Years 18, and [when] at the immediate risque of his life and perminant injury of his health he exerted himself each time during three successive Days and Nights in saving the lives and Properties of numbers who but for him must have Perished. Thompsons good Conduct, Governor Macquarie appointed him Justice of the Peace. Amongst the leading laymen in the church in the past years, we find:—Mr.
Another address, signed by eight hundred and thirty-three residents, was presented to Governor Bligh, expressive of their confidence in his administration in the year 1808. The old denominational school system came to an end by the erection and opening: of the present Public School in 1870. However, it is known that Governor King gave him forty gallons of spirits as a reward for some service rendered on May 27th, 1806. It is evident that Andrew Thompson did traffic pretty largely in spirits, for he was fined £100 in 1807 for so doing. Again, we find in 1800 a reference to the profits made on the sale of spirits by Andrew Thompson, the Governor's bailiff. vii., page 225.) He acquired a number of properties by purchase, including property in Baker Street and in Bridge Street, Windsor.
Governor Bligh, and his son-in-law, Captain Putland, had farms near Pitt Town, where Bligh's oaks may still be seen. From this it appears that he obtained four hundred gallons of spirits which he retailed at a profit of twelve hundred pounds. His town residence in Sydney was in Macquarie Place. At another meeting to consider local grievances, John Bowman, Matthew Gibbons, and William Cummins were also present. Evans, William Baker, Thomas Arndell, Samuel Solomon and Andrew Thompson.
It was really the growth of grain, wheat and maize that led Governor Macquarie to lay out, among others, the town of Windsor, in order to preserve the produce being lost by inundations after it had been harvested. This petition was signed by one hundred and fifty-six persons, among whom were Messrs. Arndell, Thomas Hobby, Andrew Thompson, George Crossley, John Dight, C. His son-in-law, Captain Putland, also had land adjoining. Methodist Church, formerly known as the Wesley an Church, has a very long and interesting history in Windsor.